- Sebaceous Cyst
- Ganglion Cyst
- Epididymal Cysts
- Vaginal Cyst
- Acne Cyst
- Popliteal Cyst
- Ovarian Cyst
- Epidermoid Cyst
- Trichilemmal Cyst or Pilar Cyst
- Pilonidal Sinus Cyst
- Pineal Cyst
There is no end to the medical health issues and with complicated lifestyle of current generation they are increasing day by day. Cyst is one of such common diseases that is normally referred as a normal sac or bag at any part of body.
This abnormal pocket use to contain some semi-solid, gaseous and liquid substances. No doubt, it cannot be considered as a normal part of body and these undesired structures often get developed within a tissue. Size of the cyst can often vary from a tiny microscopic structure to the one with team sport balls. When it grows larger then it often causes displacement of internal organs.
There are so many types of cysts and they can get developed at different parts of body. Depending upon type of cyst, there are different methods for treatment and removal in medical science. If you want to collect detailed information about types of cysts and possible options for their diagnosis, treatment and cyst removal process then keep reading the article below. It will provide you complete information about this disease.
Sebaceous cysts are well known as noncancerous cysts that are easily observed on skin surfaces. They are often found on torso, neck or face etc. Note that, this type of cysts grows in slow motion and it is not found to be life threatening but yes, if you keep ignoring it for long term then it may create more uncomfortable situations. As medical science is following new techniques now so the sebaceous cyst removal cost is affordable now.
Medical professionals often diagnose the sebaceous cysts with simple physical examination. But in case if this appears unusual then you may have to undergo few additional tests so that risks of any cancer can be identified on time.
Some of the most commonly recommended tests for sebaceous cyst are:
- CT scans to collect idea about level of abnormalities and ultrasounds to know about the content present inside this unwanted pocket inside tissue.
Sebaceous Cyst Removal
Surgical procedures can be followed to remove cysts.
Some of the most common methods applied for sebaceous cyst removal are:
- Conventional wide excision: It can easily remove the cyst but may leave a scar behind.
- Laser in combination with the punch biopsy excision: As per this removal technique, laser is used to create a small hole for draining cysts and then its outer walls are removal after few days.
- Minimal Excision: It never leaves any noticeable scar behind but people reported return of cyst after this removal therapy.
Ganglion Cyst is often recognised as a fluid filled lump that is non cancerous in nature.
It often gets developed either on hand or wrist but many people have also reported them at areas around feet or ankle. Depending upon the location of ganglion cyst, it can restrict the movement for patient.
Ganglion Cyst Removal with Surgical Procedures
After diagnosis, if your doctor recommend surgical treatment then it is good to follow his guidelines accurately. The ganglion cyst removal surgery is mostly completed by an elbow, wrist and hand surgery expert where outpatient procedures are followed with general anaesthesia.
First of all doctors simply mark the area containing cyst pocket; numbs this specific area and then cut the incision location using scalpel. Expert will remove the cyst and then the opening is stitched back; it will take some time to heal the area completely.
Ganglion Cyst Removal with Non-Surgical Procedures
It is also possible to get rid from ganglion cyst using non surgical procedures.
Some of the most commonly recommended options are:
- Aspiration: As per aspiration procedures, experts simply use a needle to puncture the cyst pocket so that fluid can drain while shrinking the area. But as it does not lead to complete removal so the cyst may grow again with this procedure.
- Wrist Brace: Some professionals also recommend wrist brace for limiting the movement around cyst because these movements often lead to unwanted discomfort and pain. It slowly forces cyst to shrink so that pain can be minimized and the ganglion cyst removal cost is reasonable.
They are one of the most common types of testicular lumps and are observed to be painless in most of cases. In this case, men may feel their testicles little heavier as compared to the normal conditions.
Note that, Epididymal cyst occurs when the coiled tube named as epididymis, right behind the testicles gets filled with some kind of fluid that does not drain with time. In case if it contains sperm inside then this disease is well known by the name spermatocele.
Possible treatment procedures
Patients need not to undergo any treatment unless they feel any discomfort or pain with this cyst. The removal process is completed with surgical procedures where expert will simply remove the cysts from body with the help of incision and then scrotum will be stitched. It takes almost 10 days for complete dissolving of stitches and then you will start feeling normal again.
The diagnosis process is carried with the help of ultra sound that develops an image of abdomen, scrotum and testicles; blood test is used to test blood samples to identify presence of infections, tumor cells etc.
Professionals also prefer to follow STI screening in which fluid samples are taken from penis to check the symptoms of Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. Finally, for the epididymis cyst removal in the small tissue, doctors prefer to utilize biopsy.
The vaginal cyst is well identified as closed pockets of pus, fluid or air near vaginal lining. There are so many reasons behind occurrence of vaginal cysts such as childbirth injuries, development of fluid in glands or it can also happen due to presence of benign cancer in vagina. There are three major types of vaginal cysts such as bartholin’s cysts, gartner’s duct cysts and vaginal inclusion cysts.
Diagnosis of vaginal cysts
When patients go for routine pelvic exam then their gynaecologist can easily feel the undesired mass at vaginal wall. In order to verify the presence of cyst, they will check your medical history and will also ask few questions related to common symptoms.
Some additional tests that doctors may prefer to carry include:
- Biopsy in which a sample is taken out from tissue to check the possible presence of vaginal cancer.
- They may also prefer to execute tests on vaginal secretion to check if there is any chance of sexually transmitted infections.
- X-ray can be taken to identify whether the cyst is present in urethra or below bladder.
As vaginal cysts use to have very few symptoms so the best way to monitor its growth is the regular tests as per doctor’s advice. In case if cyst grows larger with lots of symptoms then it becomes essential to use surgical procedures for vaginal cyst removal. When cysts cause abscess or infections, doctors prefer to prescribe antibiotics.
It is one of the most dangerous types of acne for human body that happens due to development of cysts below skin surface. It commonly appears due to combination of dry skin cells, oil and bacteria when they get trapped inside pores.
Although, cystic acne can affect anyone but they are most commonly observed in the people that have oily skin. One can also find it commonly in older adults, women and teens if they are suffering with some kind of hormonal imbalances.
How to Diagnose Acne Cyst?
Because of the severity of this disease, there are very few over the counter treatments available for diagnosis. Patients need to meet dermatologists to avail prescription for essential medications. There are so many treatment methods available for acne cysts and some professionals also prefer to use combination of these treatments for acne cyst removal.
Below are few common diagnosis options:
- Isotretinoin: Almost 85% people have positive impact of this medication on their cyst problems. But there are few side effects associated with this disease such as join pain, blood flow through urine, bruising, inflammatory bowel, and nosebleeds or headaches.
- Oral Antibiotics: When cyst covers a much larger area below skin then oral antibiotics can help to reduce the inflammation or bacterial growth. Oral antibiotics are observed to lead few side effects like abdominal pain, vomiting, sun sensitivity, diarrhea and nausea. Etc.
- Topical Retinoids: They are developed from vitamin A and are most commonly treated using topical antibiotics that are available on form of lotions, gels or creams etc.
Other than this, medical professionals may prefer to follow spinonolactone and oral contraceptives for diagnosis.
It is also known by the name Baker’s cyst and appears like a fluid filled swelling that leads to lump at knee back. Some of the most common causes behind popliteal cyst are rheumatoid arthritis and damage to cartilage of knee. The common symptoms of popliteal cyst include cyst rupturing, calf or knee bruising, swelling in the affected area, stiffness and severe pain.
Possible diagnosis of popliteal cyst
Medical professionals will prefer to examine your knee area and observe motion in the area before baker cyst removal. During the diagnosis, doctors may recommend imaging tests for cysts that often increases in size and also causes severe pain.
Most commonly these tests include ultrasound and MRI to run a deep check for cartilage damage. These tests help to identify additional growth of cyst that cause swelling and can also determine presence of tumor.
When the pain becomes unbearable then doctors recommend following treatments:
- Fluid draining: In this case, a needle is inserted in the affected knee joint and ultra sound used to track right position of the needle. This needle simply draws fluid out of the cysts pocket.
- Physical Therapy: Motion can be retained with regular gentle exercises but they must be followed as per recommendation of physicians.
- Medication: Doctors also prefer to recommend medications as like cortisone to provide relief from pain.
When motion is not recovered so long then professionals bring the affected tissue out of the body with the help of bakers cyst removal surgical procedures.
Research reveals that most of ladies face ovarian cyst issue at least once in their life time. In few cases it is observed to be painless without any symptom whereas some women may face mild to severe pain.
Some of the most common symptoms associated with ovarian cyst include pain during sex, painful bowel movements, bloating, vomiting and nausea. Some of the most common types of ovarian cysts are follicle cyst, and corpus luteum cysts that demand ovarian cyst removal on time.
Diagnosis of Ovarian Cyst
This trouble is often identified with the help of pelvic exam. When woman feels some kind of swelling in ovaries then doctors may first recommend ultrasound to confirm cyst presence.
Other useful imaging tools for this diagnosis are CT scan, MRI etc. where the first one helps to bring details with the help of cross sectional images of the internal organs and MRI produces in depth details of internal organs in form of images. Ovarian cyst removal recovery time is few weeks.
Some of the most common methods for treatment of Ovarian Cyst troubles include:
- Birth control pills: In order to stop the ovulation in ovaries, doctors will fist recommend birth control pills. It also helps to reduce the chances of development of ovarian cancer.
- Laparoscopy: If the cyst pocket is found to be too small and cannot cause cancer then it can be easily removed with the help of laparoscopy. In this case professionals will make incision near navel and cysts will be removed from abdomen.
- Laparotomy: When size of the cyst is larger enough then it is surgically removed with the help of large incision type ovary cyst removal Biopsy is most common treatment available for ovarian cyst removal.
This type of Epidermoid cyst does not lead to pain and in most of cases it is left untreated. Doctors recommend treatments only if it starts becoming infected, painful, swollen or red. Epidermoid cysts are also known as keratin, sebaceous, epithelial cysts where tiny hard lumps start developing below skin.
This type of cysts is commonly developed with development of keratin below skin area. Keratin protein stays inside skin cells but when this protein gets trapped inside sin then it causes development of cyst.
How to diagnose Epidemoid Cyst
First of all, medical professionals will prefer to examine the bump and the skin around it. In most of the cases, this type of cysts either stop growing with time or may also go away with time even without any specific treatment.
Doctors may recommend time to time check up just to ensure that it is not going to take any undesired growth. These cysts are rarely observed to cause cancers and there are limited risks involved with them.
Professionals will recommend following proper treatment in case if it starts becoming infected, painful, swollen or red with time. Some of the most commonly followed treatment techniques include drainage and antibiotics. In few critical conditions doctors may also prefer to follow epidermoid cyst removal surgical procedures.
Trichilemmal Cyst or Pilar Cyst
It is also known by the name isthmus catagen cyst and it often occurs like a hair follicle. In most common cases, they are found in the scalp region and are observed to appear with smooth formation. They use to be mobile in nature and are often filled with keratin that is commonly available protein in horns, skin, nails and hair.
When pilar cysts starts becoming erythematous, swollen or painful then they start indicating presence of infection. In this case a directed therapy is essential for treatment. There are so many surgical methods to treat pilar cysts that may follow small incision in linear form, elliptical incisions or sometimes professionals may follow circular dermal punch incision that is one of the most effective methods of treatment.
During surgical treatment, first of all local anaesthetic treatment is followed in the affected area. Then a small linear incision is followed; one may also undergo elliptical or punch incision depending upon type of cyst. Sometimes, pilar cyst is removed with the help of blunt dissection and the contents of cyst are taken out of body. Blunt dissection helps to separate the wall of cyst from its surrounding connected tissue. After pilar cyst removal, stitching is performed to control the blood flow out of body and it may take few days to heal properly.
Pilonidal Sinus Cyst
This is a small abscess or cyst that often gets developed at top of buttock and usually carries debris, dirt or hair. Such type of cyst often leads to severe pain and may also get infected. In such conditions, it starts spreading some odor and use to contain blood, pus or fluid with foul color.
It is observed to happen due to hormonal changes in most of the cases or is common for people who spend long time sitting on chair or while driving. Some of the most common signs of Pilonidal sinus cyst are pain when person stands or sit down, formation of holes in the skin area multiple sinus tract, hair protruding from lesion, blood or pus draining from abscess, sore skin, reddened, and cyst swelling.
Available treatment options for Pilonidal Cyst
There are so many methods for treatment and doctors may recommend one after examining condition of your cyst.
The available options are:
- Conservative Treatment: When the trouble is identified on time and it does not cause severe pain or any other serious symptom then doctors simply prefer to follow broad spectrum antibiotic based treatments. This antibiotic is capable enough to treat numbers of harmful bacteria. Although, it cannot heal the affected sinus tract but yes, it can provide relief from discomfort and inflammation.
- Lancing: To apply this treatment, doctors will first apply local anaesthetic. Then they will apply scalpel for opening abscess and the pus, blood or hair is cleaned inside. After this treatment, doctors will simply dress the area using sterile so that it can heal completely. Most of the time it takes almost four weeks to heal properly.
- Phenol Injection: In this treatment process, doctors will first start with local anaesthetic and then an antiseptic chemical compound such as phenol is used in the cyst area. This pilonidal cyst removal procedure is repeated several times and with time the treatment makes the lesion hard.
- Surgical procedure: When the cyst has developed multiple sinus tracts then it becomes essential to operate it with surgical procedures. First of all, anaesthesia is followed for treatment and then debris or pus is removed from inside. As soon as the process is completed then wounds are stitched by surgeon so that it can heal with time.
Such types of cysts are often found to occur in pineal gland that is a small organ inside brain responsible for production of melatonin hormone. It also regulates other hormones to maintain circadian rhythm inside body.
Such types of cysts rarely show any sign or symptoms. In most of the cases, they use to be very small in size and are observed to be asymptomatic. In case of symptomatic cysts, you will observe larger size and it can also have few neurologic symptoms.
People often suffer with common symptoms like headache, vision disturbance, and hydrocephalus etc. Very few people find other major symptoms such as sleep troubles, vertigo, emotional disturbances, ataxia, vomiting or some kind of hormonal imbalances.
Treatment options for Pineal Cyst
Doctors recommend treatment for pineal cyst after diagnosing level of its occurrence. One may observe size of the cyst and the associated symptoms with it. When symptoms start causing major trouble for life then professional may prefer to follow treatment such as stereotactic removal of cyst, shunting, CSF diversion or stereotactic aspiration etc. Sometimes professionals also prefer to follow radiation therapy after pineal cyst removal or treatment.
The article, above described all major types of cysts and the possible treatment options for each one of them. If you are suffering with any of the symptoms described above than first of all it is important to consult medical professionals about possible treatment, diagnosis procedures and cyst removal surgery. Experts can help you to know right way to get rid of this trouble and they can also identify the risks of cancer on time.